Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Was Washington Irving an Adventurous Man?



Yes, I was born an ill child, but that did not stop me from being adventurous in my younger years to older years.  Born in New York on April 3, 1783 I knew I was put on this earth for a purpose. Knowing that I was, “eleventh child born to emigrants Sarah Sanders and William Irving, deacon and successful merchant”http://www.online-literature.com/irving/ I would be giving back to the ones who might not have as much as I did growing up.  I knew I was special because there was the feeling of adventure that would boil in my blood. I would sneak out and go see different plays and wander the streets at night thinking about places I could visit. All of my imagination steamed from the books that I loved by Daniel Defoe. 

Getting older I would become sick on and off but that did not stop me from seeing the world and traveling.  Although, the trip that I took was for my lung alignment in 1804 to a spa in Bordeaux, France I was still able to relax and enjoy the travel. Within the next two years I see new horizons with me having “travelled through many countries in Europe including France, the Netherlands, Spain, Scotland, Wales, and England”http://www.online-literature.com/irving/.  Traveling to these different countries made me love the art, theatre and operas in their culture.  In 1806, I was sad to leave my travels but had to return back to America.

It was hard to leave, but I returned back in 1815 to visit my brother and that lasted for the next seventeen years of my life. I was still able to travel which I love to do while trying to do a business venture with my brother.  Although that failed it gave me insight to start back writing again to receive a little bit of income.  My adventures gave me the energy to write and I wrote two of my most famous writings "Rip van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".   I became very sickly but that did not stop me from putting my pen down and telling stories that I felt were interesting.  Returning to I America my life would end with me being surrounded by my loves ones and relatives. 

 Here are is a clip from one of his famous writings Rip Van Winkle while on his adventure through England...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tCuJKfSJU 

No comments:

Post a Comment